The game is known around the world as Bowls, Lawn Bowls, or Bowling on the Green. It dates back to colonial times in the United States and is speculated to have originated with the ancient Egyptians. Organized lawn bowling in the Milwaukee area started around 1913 at the Stickney Field club in Wauwatosa, WI.
GREEN and CLUBHOUSE – According to the Milwaukee Board of Park Commission, in 1920 “a bowling on the green was built in Lake Park and is located westerly of the children’s playgrounds and the tennis courts.” It had 4 rinks. By 1932, the green was expanded to 8 rinks and in 1937, a second green of 8 rinks was completed. In 1961, the old greens were replaced with two new greens of eight rinks each on the west side of the Pavilion (now Lake Park Bistro). The clubhouse was erected in 1962, enlarged in 1980, and an addition was built in 1985. Today, the Milwaukee Lake Park Lawn Bowling Association makes it home at these greens and clubhouse.
NAME – The Milwaukee Lawn Bowling Association started as a mens-only organization in 1920. They renamed themselves Milwaukee Lawn Bowling Association, Incorporated in 1961. Women started playing at Lake Park in 1961, but it wasn’t until 1971 that they organized themselves as the Lake Park Ladies Auxiliary. The women’s club soon renamed themselves the Lake Park Lawn Bowling League in 1972. The men’s and women’s clubs merged in 1995 and became Milwaukee Lake Park Lawn Bowling Association, Incorporated.