The Blind Pairs is played on Memorial Day weekend and is the first tournament of our season. Participants sign up as individuals. The tournament director then designates participants as either a “lead” or “skip” and assigns teams. The lead and skip partners change each game (to promote mixing) and the teams are not revealed until the start of each game (which is why we call it a “blind” tournament). Participants earn points based on whether they win/lose and by how much each game. At the end of the play, the top scoring lead and the top scoring skip are declared the tournament winners and will have their names engraved on a plaque in the clubhouse.
- Date: Saturday, May 26, 2018
- Format: Pairs, four 8-end games
- Entry fee: $5 and a side dish to share for lunch
- Draw Time: 8:30 AM
- Start Time: 9:00 AM
- Attire: Whites
- Tournament Director: Mark Mathwig
- Must be a member of MLPLBA.
- Sign-up on sheet in the clubhouse or by contacting the tournament director.
- Deadline: Thursday, May 24, 2018
- Lead: Roland Faas Skip: Rob Behncke
- Lead: Shirley Burmester Skip: Bob Schneider
- Lead: Joan Faas Skip: Crandall Hays
The Blind Pairs tournament was traditionally held in May the weekend prior to the Memorial Day weekend and the Memorial Day Mixer was held on Memorial Day. In 1998, the Memorial Day Mixer was renamed the James V. Butler Memorial Day Mixer after the Greens Committee Chairman of the 1990’s. In later years, the Blind Pairs and James V. Butler Memorial Day Mixer were combined into one event.